I have to develop an App for Android tablets that demands printing files to a
Bluetooth printer. Printing over Bluetooth is one of the most important features of my app. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of information about this subject so I'd like to ask for advice.
As far as I know it's not possible to print over Bluetooth on Android (using native calls), as Android's BT Stack doesn't implement BPP (Basic Printing Profile). Doing a little research I've found the following alternatives:
- Sybase-iAnywhere-Blue-SDK-for-Android : Commercial SDK that supports
a lot of BT profiles. Developed by a large company (good support I
guess). I have not found a lot of information about this one. Is
there some documentation,API or examples on how to use this SDK? Does
anybody know how to download the demo version? (link seems to be
broken last time I tried)
- iPrint SDK: Commercial SDK. Some examples on their website but nothing else.
- Zebralink: Only for Zebra printers (naturally). Other manufacturers probably have APIs for their printers too.
Google Play Apps
- PrinterShare: Commercial (Premium key)
- Bluetooth Smart Printing: Free and lightweight. Claims to print to Bluetooth printers.
Ideally I wouldn't want to be tied to a specific brand or printer model. Now the questions:
- What do you think it would be the best choice?
- Do you know any other alternative that I've missed?
- Can I easily print files from my App using an external App?
- What format should I use for my files to be able to print them over
- Any advices on printer manufacturer and models?
- Have you had any real experience printing over Bluetooth on Android?
- Is there any plans in the immediate future to implement Bluetooth
printing on Android?
Thanks in advance for your help 😉