C++ DLL Export: Decorated/Mangled names

c++dllexportname-decoration

Created basic C++ DLL and exported names using Module Definition file (MyDLL.def).
After compilation I check the exported function names using dumpbin.exe
I expect to see:

SomeFunction

but I see this instead:

SomeFunction = SomeFunction@@@23mangledstuff#@@@@

Why?

The exported function appears undecorated (especially compared to not using the Module Def file), but what's up with the other stuff?

If I use dumpbin.exe against a DLL from any commercial application, you get the clean:

SomeFunction

and nothing else…

I also tried removing the Module Definition and exporting the names using the "C" style of export, namely:

extern "C" void __declspec(dllexport) SomeFunction();

(Simply using "extern "C" did not create an exported function)

However, this still creates the same output, namely:

SomeFunction = SomeFunction@@@23mangledstuff#@@@@

I also tried the #define dllexport __declspec(dllexport) option and created a LIB with no problem. However, I don't want to have to provide a LIB file to people using the DLL in their C# application.

It's a plain vanilla C++ DLL (unmanaged code), compiled with C++ nothing but a simple header and code. Without Module Def I get mangled exported functions (I can create a static library and use the LIB no problem. I'm trying to avoid that). If I use extern "C" __declspec(dllexport) OR a Module Definition I get what appears to be an undecorated function name… the only problem is that it is followed by an "=" and what looks like a decorated version of the function. I want to get rid of the stuff after the "=" – or at least understand why it is there.

As it stands, I'm pretty certain that I can call the function from C# using a P/Invoke… I just want to avoid that junk at the end of the "=".

I'm open to suggestions on how to change the project/compiler settings, but I just used the standard Visual Studio DLL template – nothing special.

Best Solution

Instead of using .def file just insert pragma comment like this

#pragma comment(linker, "/EXPORT:SomeFunction=_SomeFunction@@@23mangledstuff#@@@@")

Edit: Or even easier: Inside the body of the function use

#pragma comment(linker, "/EXPORT:"__FUNCTION__"="__FUNCDNAME__)

. . . if you have troubles finding the decorated function name. This last pragma can be further reduced with a simple macro definition.

Related Question