C# – Why does visual studio 2012 not find the tests


I have some tests that use the built in Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UnitTesting, but can not get them to run.

I am using visual studio 2012 ultimate.

I have a solution of two projects; One has tests, using Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UnitTesting, [TestClass] before the class, [TestMethod] before the test methods and reference Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UnitTestFramework (version, runtime version v2.0.50727). I have tried dot-net framework 3.5, 4 and 4.5 others give a re-targeting error.

I have tried to build the solution and project. Test explorer has the message `Build your solution to discover all available tests. Click "run all" to build, discover, and run all tests in your solution.

So the question is: How to I get visual studio to find the tests?

Have also tried to follow this: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/library/ms379625%28v=VS.80%29.aspx but with no success: I get stuck in section getting started, when asked to right click and select create tests. There is no create tests.

I have this test(it compiles, but does not show up in test explorer):

using Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UnitTesting;

namespace tests {
    public class SimpleTest {
        public void Test() {
            Assert.AreEqual("a","a", "same");

I have now discovered (see deleted answer below) that it is because it is on a shared drive, but I don't as yet know how to get around it. (something about the security setting maybe).

Best Solution

I had same symptoms, but under different circumstances.

I had to add one additional step to Peter Lamberg's solution — Clean your solution/project.

My unittest project targets x64. When I created the project it was originally targeting x86.

After switching to x64 all my unit tests disappeared.

I had to go to the Test Menu -> Test Setting -Default Processor Architecture -> x64.

They still didn't show up.

Did a build.

Still didn't show up.

Finally did a Clean

Then they showed up.

I find Clean Solution and Clean to be quite useful at getting the solutions to play ball when setting have changed. Sometimes I have to go to the extreme and delete the obj and bin directories and do a rebuild.