I am confused in the concept of switching (using tortoise svn). We are a team of 3 developers and I am Dev2 here.
Firstly, I tried switching using following steps (lets say, currently working on trunk and want to start work in branches v1.0)
- Right click on /branches/v1.0
- Choose tortoisesvn – switch
- To Path: /branches/v1.0
- Head Revision (checked)
- Switch Depth : Working Copy
Please let me know if I am doing something wrong in above?
But, after that I skipped the switching and then our working gives us following output:
- All the developers worked in trunk and then development is over
- Created a tag with v1.0
- Found bugs in tag v1.0 so created a branch v1.0 from tag v1.0
- Need new features as well so Dev1 (Developer 1) continues working in trunk where Dev2 and Dev3 are working on branch v1.0
- Dev2 writes code in branch v1.0 and commits
- Dev3 get updates in branch (got updates of Dev1) and then writes code in branch v1.0 and commits
- Dev1 get updates in branch (got updates of Dev2 and Dev3)
- Dev2 and Dev3 get updates in trunk (got updates from Dev1)
All is working fine without switching then what is the concept of switching?
Also, what will happen if I have uncommitted files in trunk while switching?