I have a server providing live H.264 video over a network via RTSP (rtsp://…), and I've been trying to find a way to display the stream to users in their browser (on at least Windows and OS X – Linux is a bonus). I currently have VLC Player embedded and have it working in both IE9 and Mozilla Firefox 12.0, but it would be ideal if, at most, the user just has to install a plugin for their browser or something similar (as opposed to a whole program).
I am able to use Open Source solutions, but I can't use anything GPL. A Java applet or anything similar is a possibility.
Solutions considered so far which didn't seem to work:
- HTML5 Video Tag: Doesn't seem to support live RTSP streams
- GStreamer (Java Bindings) / OSSBuild GStreamer-WinBuilds v0.10.7 Beta 4 LGPL: Plugins seemed flaky with RTSP sources and the WinBuild (my stream gave errors related to a stream SETUP request, while others did not)
- JavaFX: Seemed to have dropped support for live RTSP streams in its most recent release
- Xuggler: Licensing seems to pose an issue
- JMF: Old, no apparent H.264 support
- FMJ: Doesn't seem to be any support for live RTSP streams
Should I reevaluate any of these possibilities?
Any other suggestions (such as in Flash or Silverlight) would be greatly appreciated.
Edit: it would be really great to get a solution in HTML5.