How do the full text search systems of PostgreSQL and MySQL compare? Is any clearly better than the oder? In which way are they different?
Mysql – PostgreSQL’s and MySQL’s full text search
- Mysql – Comparison of full text search engine – Lucene, Sphinx, Postgresql, MySQL
- Postgresql – Insert, on duplicate update in PostgreSQL
- MySQL: Large VARCHAR vs. TEXT
- How to do case insensitive search in Vim
- Postgresql – Difference between text and varchar (character varying)
- Ruby-on-rails – Getting error: Peer authentication failed for user “postgres”, when trying to get pgsql working with rails
PostgreSQL 8.3 has built in full text search which is an integrated version of the "tsearch2"
Here is the documentation: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/textsearch.html
And the example from the documentation:
Where body is a text field. You can index specifically for these types of searches and of course they can become more complex than this simple example. The functionality is very solid and worth diving into as you make your decision.
Best of luck.