Ruby – Bundler not working with rbenv, could not find [gem]

bundlerrbenvrubysinatra

I've just made the switch from rvm to rbenv and I'm trying to use bundler for gem management. After running bundle install and trying to run a simple sinatra app (ruby app.rb), I get this:

Could not find haml-3.1.4 in any of the sources
Run `bundle install` to install missing gems.

Running bundle install again had no effect. Also tried bundle update as suggested by another question response.

This is my Gemfile:

source "http://rubygems.org"

gem "sinatra"
gem "haml"

This is what bundle show produces

* bundler (1.0.22)
* haml (3.1.4)
* rack (1.4.1)
* rack-protection (1.2.0)
* sinatra (1.3.2)
* tilt (1.3.3)

This is what my app requires:

require "rubygems"
require "bundler/setup"
require 'sinatra'

I'm convince that this is some kind of path issue where bundler and rbenv aren't playing along. I've tried looking through rbenv's documentation but was not able to find to anything.

Note: In a different sinatra app I get the following when trying to run it:

Could not find addressable-2.2.7 in any of the sources
Run `bundle install` to install missing gems.

Supplemental info

echo $PATH
/Users/uri/.rbenv/shims:/Users/uri/.rbenv/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin

which bundle
/Users/uri/.rbenv/shims/bundle

Update

If I do bundle install --system it works. Although I can't see this as being a viable solution.

Best Solution

I was having the same issue. One hint was that rbenv exec bundle exec command worked and that rbenv exec bundle install --path vendor/bundle worked, but their prefixed equivalents failed.

I wiped my ~/.rbenv, ~/.gem Gemfile.lock and vendor/bundle a few times trying to start fresh. Once these were cleaned away I tried the following:

rbenv install 1.9.3-p194
rbenv rehash # for paranoia's sake
rbenv global 1.9.3-p194
gem env # to check that everything was pointing at 1.9 and not the system
gem install --no-ri --no-rdoc bundler
rbenv rehash # necessary to load up the bundle executable
bundle --path=vendor/bundle

and it worked!

I think the important thing, since I tried this a few times, is to remove the .gem file from your home directory. It seems to get in the way.