R – Sankey Diagrams in R


I am trying to visualize my data flow with a Sankey Diagram in R.

I found this blog post linking to an R script that produces a Sankey Diagram, unfortunately it's quite raw and somewhat limited (see below for sample code and data).

Does anyone know of other scripts—or maybe even a package—that is more developed? My end goal is to visualize both data flow and percentages by relative size of diagram components, like in these examples of Sankey Diagrams.

I posted a somewhat similar question on the r-help list, but after two weeks without any responses I'm trying my luck here on stackoverflow.


PS. I'm aware of the Parallel Sets Plot, but that is not what I'm looking for.

# thanks to, https://tonybreyal.wordpress.com/2011/11/24/source_https-sourcing-an-r-script-from-github/
  sourc.https     <- function(url, ...) {
# install and load the RCurl package 
if (match('RCurl', nomatch=0, installed.packages()[,1])==0) {
  install.packages(c("RCurl"), dependencies = TRUE)
} else require(RCurl)    

# parse and evaluate each .R script
  sapply(c(url, ...), function(u) {
    eval(parse(text = getURL(u, followlocation = TRUE, 
    cainfo  = system.file("CurlSSL", "cacert.pem", 
    package = "RCurl"))), envir = .GlobalEnv)
 } )

# from https://gist.github.com/1423501

# My example (there is another example inside Sankey.R):
inputs = c(6, 144)
losses = c(6,47,14,7, 7, 35, 34)
unit = "n ="

labels = c("Transfers",
           "Unable to Engage",
           "Consultation only",
           "Did not complete the intake",
           "Did not engage in Treatment",
           "Discontinued Mid-Treatment",
           "Completed Treatment",
           "Active in \nTreatment")


# Clean up my mess
rm("inputs", "labels", "losses", "SankeyR", "sourc.https", "unit")

Sankey Diagram produced with the above code, Sankey Diagram produced with the code above

Best Solution

This plot can be created through the networkD3 package. It allows you to create interactive sankey diagrams. Here you can find an example. I also added a screenshot so you have an idea what it looks like.

# Load package

# Load energy projection data
# Load energy projection data
URL <- paste0(
Energy <- jsonlite::fromJSON(URL)
# Plot
sankeyNetwork(Links = Energy$links, Nodes = Energy$nodes, Source = "source",
             Target = "target", Value = "value", NodeID = "name",
             units = "TWh", fontSize = 12, nodeWidth = 30)

enter image description here

Related Question